Types of Cloud Computing Services
Types of cloud computing services are a tricky topic. This is because cloud solutions come in different sizes and shapes.
Cloud computing is a malleable platform. It could be turned into cloud storage or a managing platform. It also penetrated the backup and recovery industry as well as app development. For this reason, cloud computing developed such a huge market within a small amount of time.
Markets and Markets reported that cloud computing grew to US$272.0 billion in 2018. The research firm also predicts a bright future for cloud computing. They expect that the cloud computing market will grow to up to US$623.3 billion by 2023.
No doubt, cloud computing is a huge industry. For this reason, you must familiarize yourself with it. You should know the different types of cloud computing services and models.
Cloud Computing Service Models
Cloud service providers offer their services in three major ways. These three major service models are Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service, and Software as a Service. They are abbreviated as IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS respectively.
These service models show how cloud computing services are diverse. These service models are major ways for how providers offer their cloud services.
There is great diversity in the types of cloud computing services. These three service models are just major types. But, there are other service models worthy of discussion. However, the focus should be on the major models for the meantime.
- Infrastructure as a Service. In Infrastructure as a Service, providers offer Infrastructure to users through the Internet. This service model is also abbreviated as IaaS. IaaS is one of the most important types of cloud computing services that are worth discussing.
Computing resources were once exclusive only in on-premise environments. Components of infrastructure including servers, networks, data centers, and a firewall. In IaaS though, infrastructure is virtualized and offered using cloud computing.
- Platform as a Service. Platform as a Service or PaaS is also one of the most important types of cloud computing services. In PaaS, providers offer software development tools to users through the Internet.
These software tools are usually made for application development. These include operating systems, programming language execution environment, and more. Some examples of Platform as a Service providers are Windows Azure and Google App Engine.
PaaS could be more advantageous for businesses than tools that need to be installed. Installing can take up so much space and cost of maintenance from a business’s resources. Whereas, PaaS only needed to be accessed through the web.
- Software as a Service. Software as a Service or SaaS is one of the most familiar types of cloud computing services today. Software as a Service providers offer application software through the Internet.
Software as a Service cuts down the needs for applications to be installed on devices. Installation could take up space in the device and affect its performance. SaaS eliminates this concern by offering app services through the Internet. The familiar Google Apps is an example of a SaaS provider.
Cloud Computing Deployment Models
Deployment models also define the types of cloud computing services. Like the service models, there are also three major types of deployment models. Namely, they are the public cloud, private cloud, and hybrid cloud.
The deployment models of cloud solutions often vary on their level of security. For this reason, they also have different target audiences. This shows how various types of cloud computing services benefit people from different walks of life. For instance, a private cloud offers much stronger security than the public cloud.
- Public Cloud.The public cloud is the most popular type of cloud computing service. It is a cloud platform wherein services may be free or offered on a pay-per-usage basis. It is widely available to the general public. Windows Azure and Google App Engine are examples of a public cloud.
- Private Cloud. A private cloud is the most useful among the types of cloud computing services for companies. It is a cloud platform that is of exclusive use of a single company or entity. These entities keep sensitive data they cannot afford to lose or leaked out. So, they avail cloud solutions with more strict security protocols.
- Hybrid Cloud. A hybrid cloud is essentially a combination of traits from the public and private cloud. In a hybrid cloud, some of its resources are available for public use. But, some of its parts are for the exclusive use of a few.
Most companies today use a hybrid cloud. 75% of companies had already moved to it according to a 2017 TechRepublic report. According to the same firm, companies are appealed by the qualities of the hybrid cloud. They want the stability of the private cloud and on-demand capabilities of the public cloud.
These traits are both found in the hybrid cloud.